It’s been quite a while since I made any art. Stress, illness, and numbness have all taken a toll on my creativity. However, a member of an art group I am in mentioned that we could view this time, this full moon, as a portal into a new world of our own creation rather than trying to return to our previous normal. This resonated with me instantly. Over the past month, an image kept returning to me over and over again with a full moon split and an opening in between. This mention of a portal finally solidified that vision and motivated me to start making art again so that I could put the image down on paper.
So, for my full Alder moon in Libra art journal spread for Effy Wild‘s Moonshine 2020 course, I created this full moon portal using black gesso, metallic watercolor, traditional watercolor, Golden fluid acrylics, white and gold Posca pens, and Strumpet Stencils.
It felt good to get back to making art. It felt good to get lost in the process and give my racing mind a much needed break. Moving forward, I’ve made a commitment to #the100dayproject to draw a face every day for 100 days. I posted my first face here on the blog earlier today. I’m hoping that making this commitment will help me get back to my daily creative practice.
I have decided to try to complete 100 faces in 100 days again. I didn’t finish my attempt last year, so I’m going to try again this year following along with#The100DayProjectto see if that will help boost my motivation.
Day one was inspired by Effy Wild’s Moonshine 2020 Full Alder Moon in Libra lesson. This art journal spread was created with Golden fluid acrylics in magenta and turquoise as well as Posca pens in gold, white, and black.
This is my new moon spread for Effy Wild’s Moonshine course. I originally created something similar in Procreate (see second photo), and now that I’m feeling more confident in my abilities thanks to my daily face practice, I decided to see if I could recreate it in my art journal. I’m really happy with the results. I used QOR and Daniel Smith watercolors along with acrylic paint.
Day 44/100 Faces – I added color to this one, but the paper didn’t hold up and neither did the supplies I used. I spent several hours trying to recover her, but it didn’t work out so well. Luckily I took a photo of the pencil sketch. I may try this same face again tomorrow to see if I can do better.